Tuesday 2 July 2013

More Better Digital Sound


The  Astell&Kern AK100 Portable music player seems to be the ultimate sound generator that can fit in your pocket. Believe it or not I was thinking aboot making a music player using Raspberry Pi, a sound card and a USB flash drive. This device does not quite equal that solution, but the packaging is way better and the software all sorted out. The missing link in this device there is no up converting of low bit rate recordings. This means to get the best sound you need to start with high bit rate recordings. On my home system I hear the greatest difference when I shift between analog cables and Optical cables. USB cables should give the same sound quality. So if you can hook the USB up to your car stereo I would expect a big difference between using this device and a I phone  With a list price of $700 will I ever buy one, likely not, but its something to consider. So my dream of making the ultimate player which would cost around $300 remains alive.

I asked I river just to be sure, and my understanding was correct.
Dear iriver customer,

Thank you for contacting iriver customer support. 

Here are the answers to your questions:

1.  No, unfortunately the unit does not convert 16 bit to 24 bit recordings. 
2.  If you want to play the songs from the AK100 or the AK120 you can but not through the USB cable.  You will have to use a 3.5mm to 3.5mm audio cable to connect the unit to the auxiliary port on your car. 

Please feel free to contact us if you have any further questions or concerns. 


Thanks & Regards,

No comments:

Post a Comment