Wednesday 15 August 2012

RIP Harry Harrison


Lately not much heavy enough to post. I figure I got it all pretty well covered in previous posts, and the news just repeats itself with just a hint more menace. So once again it’s the death of a cultural icon that pulls the effort out of me like Bill the Galactic Hero in a firefight. I nominate Woody Harrelson to play Bill in the movie.


I had forgotten that the Charlton Heston classic Soylent Green was based upon Harry’s book Make Room Make Room. Spolier alert “ Soylent Green, its people!” There are dozens of more great reads in his attic, including the epic Death World Trilogy.

HBO is really missing out not making a series based upon his Stainless Steel Rat Character. An anti-authoritarian hero who is a combination of Jim Rockford and James Bond would be irresistible, use CGI and let Cary Grant play the lead, how appropriate. Thanks for all the great memories Mr. Harrison.

No comments:

Post a Comment